Main Accounts Department is a department under the office of the Accountant General which is responsible for safe-keeping of all vouchers and other financial documents in the voucher store. Other major responsibilities of the department includes;
- Preparation of State Government’s Final Accounts referred to as Accountant General’s Report on a timely basis and in conformity with existing Laws, Provisions and International Standards and best practises subscribed by Federal Government and the State.
- Integrating the processes of computerised systems for Financial Management Software across the MDAs.
- Liaises with MDA’s in ensuring that the Financial and Accounting Standard and regulations are adhered to in the preparation of their Financial Reports/Returns to the Ministry of Finance
- The Department corresponds with Federal Government and Donor Agencies in various aspect of data collection, tax audit, etc
- The Department serves as the secretariat of General Financial Reforms, such as International Public Sector Accounting Standard (IPSAS), SFTAS, and others.